Friday, January 9, 2009

The Beginning

So on Monday, January 5th, I noticed that all of the VPs and the P were in the conference room, shades drawn, no sound coming out.

I went about my business. Working. That's what I do.

At 1:00 PM my manager K sends me an email, asking "can you come in here for a minute?"

This never ends well for me. Does it end well with anyone? I see the email, and wait. Then I open it, read it, and then head to her office.

The president and my manager (a VP) are there. I come in, and assume the P will leave, but he doesn't. I shut the door behind me and sit down.

I've got bad news, the P says.

I don't say anything.

He starts in about how the clients are cutting their funding, how things are like this now this year, and...well, he says a few other things, but I know what's coming. I've heard this speech previously. I stare at the floor and start to tone out.

"This isn't because of performance." my manager blurts out, "you're not the only one affected here."

All I can squeak out is, "so you'll pay me 'til the end of the month?"

Yes, the P says.

I shrugged. And got up and left.

I went back to my office and shut the door.

I wait a couple of minutes. Five years. I followed the P to his new company. I took a chance. I knew I did. But the pastures were greener...the pay better, the office environment was better, the work the same...sometimes you follow the money and leaving early on Fridays. Everything from barely a year ago roared though my head. You didn't tell me I'd lose my job in a year. You didn't tell me that LAST WEEK DURING MY REVIEW.

You have got to be kidding me.

I called Jeff. I have bad news, I said. He paused. I just got laid off.

Within 36 hours I cleaned out my files, my office was cleaned out, my stuff was done. I was gone. Just like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment